Thursday, March 10, 2016

Steadfast is the Best Fast

The Lord does not need our sacrifices but He does desire our obedience. I think I mentioned last week that the beginning of the year is a good time to think about this. We are already in March and maybe some of our New Year’s resolutions have fallen by the way side. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Sometimes when we fail, we beat ourselves up about it. I didn’t do what I said I was going to do, so I’ll punish myself in some way. Maybe I’ll call myself hateful names. Or, I won’t eat. Or, I’ll refrain from earthly pleasures. I won’t watch games or play video games. Something, just some penance to show I really am sorry. But who are you showing that you are sorry? Do you think this penance appeases God? Doesn’t it just make you feel better? You failed but now you are really miserable about it and that misery makes you happy?

         You can’t pay for your sins and failures. Beating yourself up never makes anything better. You just have to receive forgiveness and move forward. The best way to do that is to be steadfast. Do those positive things that the Lord calls you to do. Have faith. Be kind. Operate by the Spirit in self-control. Walk in joy. That is being steadfast and steadfast is the best fast.

No comments: