Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Rainbows, Bread and Wine

When we look at the bread and wine, we tend to think of them as reminders to us of God’s promises. And, indeed, they are. But there is another way in which they are reminders to God.

Think of the purpose of the rainbow. God said, I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
The rainbow reminds us but it also reminds God.

We look at these symbols and remember God’s promises. But it is even more important that God
remember His covenant towards us. This is His memorial. He looks at the Bread and remembers the
body of Jesus broken for sinners. He looks at the wine and remembers the blood that covers sin. He
blesses these symbols and He gives them to us. And He will not forget His promises to us in
Jesus Christ.

No comments: