Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Me First

Me First is usually a bad thing but there is one place where a Me First attitude is best. That is the place of confession and repentance. We are a nation of excuse makers. We like to blame our problems and sins on other people, our parents, our spouses, our brothers and sisters, the government, our education, our health, anything, or anyone, but the real cause. That would be too painful and we have trained ourselves to stay away from pain at all costs. It might hurt. It might make me uncomfortable.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, don’t look at me,” just won’t do. When it comes to confession, be the first one to make the move. This is part of leadership, part of humility, part of owning the fallen man, part of taking responsibility, even suffering for others. I have failed many times as a pastor, friend, sibling, father, husband and friend. I confess these particular failures and I ask God’s forgiveness. We must come to realize that the only way we can really learn to love others the way we should and thus adequately fulfill all of our various callings, is to be Me First when it comes to confession and repentance.

No comments: