Thursday, May 11, 2017

Rules for Walking in Fellowship- John Owen

Chapter 3- Praying for Your Pastor

Rule 3- Make continual prayer and supplication on his behalf for assistance and success in the work committed to him.

Peruse Proof Texts
Eph 6:18-20 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication or all saints;

Eph. 6:19-20 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

2 Thes. 3:1-2 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

1 Thes. 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

Col. 4:3-4 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

Heb. 13:18 Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things.

-->

Owen explains that the minister’s job is impossible without prayer, his own prayer and the prayers of the saints. Who is sufficient for such things? Furthermore, the prayers for the pastor are benefits to the people. The pastor’s work is for building up of the body of Christ. If the pastor is successful at his endeavors, preaching, teaching, admonishing, exhorting, encouraging, counseling, planning, writing and a host of other duties, then all of these successes are a benefit to his congregation. So ought the people of God pray for their pastor.

No comments: