Sunday, March 11, 2012

3:33 and 4:44

Woke up again this morning at 3:33am. I awoke exactly 1:11 later at 4:44.

This happens with a great deal of regularity. It no longer surprises me but it always pleases me. When I wake up, I always utter a brief prayer, "Thank you Lord for reminding me of your love and kindness towards me, even in the watches of the night," or something equally groggy and similar. Not much of a prayer and I promptly fall back into a peaceful sleep.

Waking at this hour, 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44 and 5:55 has been going on for the last 12 years or so, since I became a pastor. It does not happen every night, usually once or twice a week, often on Saturday nights when my mind is thinking about Sunday worship service. And I don't always have two like last night, waking at both 3:33 and 4:44. Usually just once in the night.

It always reminds me of the Trinity and God's love and care for me.  I am not sure if my body time clock has figured out how to count time exactly during the night, or if the Lord specifically wakes me up to comfort me.  Either way, I am amazed at God's care over His creation, me, either to make such a creature that can tell time in his sleep or that He would deign to gently wake me up just to remind me that  He is still there. Both are reasons for awe and thanksgiving.

No comments: