Sunday, June 18, 2017

Tell the Disciples, and Peter

Jesus went out of His way to remind Peter that he was not forsaken. This is what our Table holds out to you.
         In Mark, after the Resurrection, the angel says to the women, Mark 16:6-7 Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. 7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.
         Jesus invites Peter, particularly, to see Him, to worship Him, to eat with Him. Peter, the failure. Peter, the ashamed one. Peter the Bold turned into a cravenly coward. But Jesus doesn’t bring any of that up.
Just go tell Peter to come and see me. I will eat with him. We will break bread. My body and blood were given for Peter, for Peter’s failure, for Peter’s sin. Go tell my disciples, and my friend, Peter, that I desire to see him.

Dear friends of Jesus, even friends who have failed or maybe even failed miserably and sinfully, I am telling you that Jesus wants to sit down and eat with you. Come and see Him. Come and eat with him. Come and sit down with Jesus as with a friend. He gave His body and blood for someone like you, His dear friend.

No comments: