Thursday, December 05, 2013

David and Goliath


Not sure what to do with the formatting. Sorry. I guess I am a blogdiot. I need help.


The Battle Belongs to Yahweh-David and Goliath
Virgil Hurt
12/05/2013

With sling and stone and nerve of steel
With youth and faith and fighting weal
Advanced young David, Jesse’s son
The shepherd boy from Bethlehem.

Goliath roared his blasphemous threats
And cursed bold David by his gods
Am I dog? That thou comest to me with staves?
Come to me and thy flesh I’ll flay
To feed the fowls and beasts in the field.
But to these threats David would not yield.

David spoke defiance by the Living God.
Thou comest to me with sword and spear and shield
But the Name of Yahweh of hosts, I wield.
He is the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
This day will Yahweh deliver thee into mine hand; he cried.
I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee;
And I will give the Philistine carcasses of this host this day
To the wild beasts of the field and birds of prey
That all the earth may know
That there is a God in Israel.
And all this assembly gathered here
Shall know that Yahweh saves not with sword and spear
But the battle belongs to Yahweh
And He will give you into our hands this day.

These words enraged the giant beast
And he arose to make of David a feast
David, himself, hastened forward to fight
Swirling his sling in furious flight.
His sling let loose a palm sized stone
And struck Goliath’s head, crushing bone.

He ran to the place were Goliath lay
To make sure he was down to stay.
And took his sword and smote off his head
So all Israel knew that Goliath was dead.
He raised the ghastly head to show
That Yahweh had brought the proud man low
And raised on high the humble man
And gave glorious victory to Israel’s band.

No comments: