Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Warmly Cooling

I'm a bit of a skeptic. I fashion myself a throwback, perhaps all the way back to the medieval age. Or at least back to when men were men, women were women and the weather minded its own business. So, being skeptical is not necessarily throwbackish. Perhaps, as a profession, skepticism is more modern. So perhaps, I am modern, really, in an old fashioned sort of way.

Whence comes all this confusion? Its the weather, I tell you. I can't help it. I remember as a child in Southern Idaho when my winters were long and cold. I used to spit on the wood shed and try to touch the spit as fast as I could to see if it was frozen yet. At -20 F, it would freeze before I touched it. But I hadn't remembered a winter like that for many, many years and now that I am old enough to say things like, "Twenty years ago...", well I suppose I know what I'm talking about. It is definitely getting warmer.

Sure, I was skeptical about global warming, too, until this so-called winter. It was in the 60's and 70's during Christmas break. The flowers were coming up, the Iris's blooms were starting to unfold. It was Spring in December. Global warming was a fact and my skepticism had been undeniably erased by the mere force of brute facts. Facts, I tell you, sure, solid, facts.

So, it was no wonder when I looked out this morning and saw the sun shining that I knew that I had made the correct, reasonable, scientific choice. In fact, since it is so warm, now, I don't even have to start my car five minutes early and let it run so my hands don't freeze on the steering wheel. I'd probably do it if it was cold. But it is nice that it is so warm so I don't have a personal moral dilemma about warming up my car.

Anyway, I headed off to work this morning thinking these great thoughts. What a shock to my system as I walked out the front door. The calm air, the blue sky and the bright sunshine were being selfish, deceitful perhaps, almost liars. They looked so warm and inviting from inside my cozy home. Arctic blastedness! Not so. I wheeled back into my house with an astonished look on my face and headed over to the computer to check the weather. Five degrees! What! On my globally warm Tuesday?

I had time to rethink it all NOW. Good thing I had time to do so, while the car warmed up. Global warming? Pshah!

Got to work and found this article. Peace of mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe, that was good.
You forgot to say that the windows were caked with ice...on the inside.
I have a firm belief in global cooling again.
Rebecca