Friday, May 31, 2019

Genesis 24:10-67 Sermon

Genesis 24:10-67
Mother of Millions
May 26, 2019
Lynchburg, Virginia

EXHORDIUM
         This is the continuation of the story of Isaac and Rebekah. Last week, we looked at Abraham’s insistence on finding a bride for Isaac that was a worshipper of the one true God. Abraham had faith that God would deliver.
         Abraham’s servant was willing to go but lacked the faith of Abraham. The Bible goes into great detail about this story. We should not skip over the sections of the Bible where God has decided to reveal a bunch of little details to us. He does so in this section.
         Abraham’s servant saddles up the camels and heads out on his expedition. No doubt, this was done with a great deal of pomp and expectation. As he leaves city, he is probably nervous but excited. The farther he got from home, the more unlikely the outcome began to settle in. Why all this fuss? Why so far away? We might not even find them. If we do, it is unlikely to work out. There won’t be a woman who is a match. She won’t be willing to go. My master will be cross with me. God’s curse will find me. 
         I can imagine all of these thoughts assailing Eliezer. By the time he arrives in Haran, he is certain about the impossibility of the outcome. That is right where the Lord wanted him.




EXEGESIS
And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master werein his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor. 
City of Nahor was at Haran, upper part of Mesopotamia.

11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, eventhe time qthat women go out to draw water.
Women did hard work. 
Wells are a good place to meet a wife. Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Jesus.

12 And he said, O LordGod of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham. 13 Behold, I stand hereby the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water: 14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same beshe thatthou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master. 
Eliezer prays to God, invoking the name of Abraham to motivate God to act. Eliezer prayed a very specific prayer. In one sense, perhaps this prayer was meant to get him out of the obligation. If the prayer was not answered, then maybe it was not God’s will to provide a wife for Isaac this way. 
But Eliezer asks God to provide a particular sort of woman, as well. The sort of woman that is kind and hospitable. Furthermore, a woman who is not afraid of doing really hard work. 
Remember to pray specifically. If you only prayer very general prayers, “Lord bless us,” then you will never really know if the Lord has answered your prayer. But if you pray, “Lord, please provide a young woman for my son who is kind, hard-working, not afraid of hard work, who does not lord her station over her subordinates, you will know if the prayer is answered. 
I cannot say that we prayed very specific prayers for our children’s spouses. By God’s kindness, He has provided spouses for each of our children that are very fitting. We did pray that. But our lack of specific prayer reveals that we did not think about exactly what sort of spouse would be fitting and then pray for those characteristics. 
This was a sort of a fleece prayer. If this sort of woman comes, then I know you have answered my prayer. If not, then you have said no. I would be careful about doing this sort of thing for light and transient reasons. However, God is faithful in the big things. Do not be afraid to ask Him to confirm His will in specific ways.

15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder. 
Before he had done speaking. Eliezer was praying. We know from what he tells Laban that his prayer was silent prayer, in his heart. Thus, we know that God reads our mind and answers the prayer of the heart. Those sorts of prayers can fly from our hearts to God at a rapid pace. We should be sending many prayers to the Lord throughout the day. Thank for those flowers. Deliver the man in that wreck and show him your son, Jesus. Bless that man that glared at me when I merged into traffic. A steady stream of heart prayers keep the heart healthy.
Rebekah’s father, Bethuel, is Abraham’s nephew. 
The pitcher on Rebekah’s shoulder must have been a large one. She uses to it give Eliezer water and all of his camels. She was a strong woman not afraid of hard work.

16 And the damsel wasvery fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.
Rebekah was beautiful and was a virgin.

 17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher. 18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink. 19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw waterfor thy camels also, until they have done drinking. 20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels. 
He ran to meet her. He was excited. He asked to drink water from her pitcher. That may seem a bit forward. She had done the work of drawing water but was gracious to share. She then draws water for all his camels. He had ten camels. A camel can drink up to 30 gallons of water in about 13 minutes. These ten camels had the capacity to drink 300 gallons of water. If Rebekah’s water jug held five gallons, then she would have had to refill it 60 times. 5 gallons of water weighs over 40 pounds. That is a huge amount of work.

21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the Lordhad made his journey prosperous or not.
It is interesting that Eliezer is still wondering. The woman did exactly what he asked of the Lord. He should not be wondering now. However, he still maintains his previous concern. What if she does not want to go? What if her father or brother is unwilling to send her to my master?

 22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekelsweight of gold;
These gifts far surpass the work that she has done. They are a down payment on a much larger gift, herself.

 23 And said, Whose daughter artthou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room inthy father’s house for us to lodge in? 24 And she said unto him, I amthe daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
He now knows that she is kindred to Abraham.

 25 She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.
She offers hospitality.

 26 And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the Lord27 And he said, Blessed bethe LordGod of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I beingin the way, the Lordled me to the house of my master’s brethren.
Eliezer returns thanks to God, praising Him for His mercy and truth. He acknowledges God’s Providential care.
I being in the way, the Lord led me…-The Providence of God directs our paths. Abraham and Eliezer had a plan but they really did not know how the details would work out. It was a long journey and the outcome was very uncertain.
Those who practice the hardest have the most luck.
Those who believe and do have the most providential outcomes.

 28 And the damsel ran, and told them ofher mother’s house these things. 29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name wasLaban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well. 30 And it came to pass, when he saw the earring and bracelets upon his sister’s hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying, Thus spake the man unto me; that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the well. 31 And he said, Come in, thou blessed of the Lord; wherefore standest thou without? for I have prepared the house, and room for the camels. 32 And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet, and the men’s feet that werewith him. 33 And there was set meatbefore him to eat: but he said, I will not eat, until I have told mine errand. And he said, Speak on. 
Rebekah’s brother, Laban, ran out to meet Eliezer. He saw the expensive gifts, earrings and bracelets that Eliezer had given Rebekah and he knew that something big was happening.  The way that Laban later treats Jacob, we wonder if his motives were not the best. There is something in it for him and so he is excited.
Would not eat until he had told his errand, that is, done his duty. This is the wisdom of old age and of a faithful steward. Many young and foolish men are glad to eat and drink before they have done their duty. Procrastination fits them well. But a wise and diligent man will do his duty first and drink, eat and play afterwards.

34 And he said, I amAbraham’s servant. 35 And the Lordhath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses. 36 And Sarah my master’s wife bare a son to my master when she was old: and unto him hath he given all that he hath. 37 And my master made me swear, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell: 38 But thou shalt go unto my father’s house, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son.
Eliezer will not even rest before he tells his errand. He gets right to a marriage proposal in the first five minutes.

39 And I said unto my master, Peradventure the woman will not follow me. 40 And he said unto me, The Lord, before whom I walk, will send his angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father’s house: 41 Then shalt thou be clear from thismy oath, when thou comest to my kindred; and if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear from my oath.
He tells them of the faith of Abraham who believe that God would send his angel to prosper the journey and that he would be successful in finding a wife for Isaac.

 42 And I came this day unto the well, and said, O LordGod of my master Abraham, if now thou do prosper my way which I go: 43 Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink; 44 And she say to me, Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels: letthe same bethe woman whom the Lordhath appointed out for my master’s son. 45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee. 46 And she made haste, and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: so I drank, and she made the camels drink also.47 And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter artthou? And she said, The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor’s son, whom Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands. 48 And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the LordGod of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master’s brother’s daughter unto his son. 49 And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.
Eliezer reiterates the story to Laban and asks for an answer straight away. His confidence is grown and he now knows the entire thing is of the Lord.

 50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said, The thing proceedeth from the Lord: we cannot speak unto thee bad or good. 51 Behold, Rebekah isbefore thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master’s son’s wife, as the Lordhath spoken.
Laban and Bethuel agree that the thing is from the Lord and give their consent for Rebekah to go and become Isaac’s wife.

 52 And it came to pass, that, when Abraham’s servant heard their words, he worshipped the Lordbowing himselfto the earth. 53 And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave themto Rebekah: he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things. 54 And they did eat and drink, he and the men that werewith him, and tarried all night; and they rose up in the morning, and he said, Send me away unto my master.
Eliezer worshipped the Lord and brought great presents to Rebekah and her brother and her mother. They partied all night in celebration. Are we to have big engagement parties now? 
In morning, Eliezer is ready to return to Abraham.

 55 And her brother and her mother said, Let the damsel abide with us a fewdays, at the least ten; after that she shall go. 56 And he said unto them, Hinder me not, seeing the Lordhath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.
It is all happening too fast for Rebekah’s family and they ask for ten days before she departs. However, Eliezer is unwilling. Perhaps he is remembering his oath.

 57 And they said, We will call the damsel, and inquire at her mouth. 58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go. 59 And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham’s servant, and his men. 
Although the family is reluctant to let her leave yet, they ask Rebekah’s mind on the matter. She is ready to go immediately. She is clearly a woman of great faith and trusts that the Lord has brought this about. Rebekah goes with Eliezer and his men, along with a companion.
Matthew Henry –“Note, As children ought not to marry without their parents’ consent, so parents ought not to marry them without their own.[1]

60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou artour sister, be thou the motherof thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.
The blessing to Rebekah is consistent with God’s blessing on Abraham. She will be the mother of a multitude.

61 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way.
Rebekah returns with her companion and a bit of an entourage.

 62 And Isaac came from the way of the well Lahai-roi; for he dwelt in the south country. 63 And Isaac went out rto meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels werecoming. 64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
Isaac and Rebekah, love at first sight.

 65 For she hadsaid unto the servant, What man isthis that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant hadsaid, Itismy master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself. 
66 And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done. 67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.[2]
Isaac loved Rebekah.

EXHORTATION
     60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou artour sister, be thou the motherof thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.
The blessing to Rebekah is consistent with God’s blessing on Abraham. She will be the mother of a multitude.
The blessing consists of two things:
1.  Descendants
Our KJV text says Thousands of millions. That would be billions. The literal translation is thousands of ten thousands, or thousands of myriads. A myriad is the number 10,000 but it can refer to an innumerable host. The meaning here is ‘may your descendants be so many we cannot count them, like the stars in the sky, or the sand on the seashore.’
This is exactly the blessing that is given to Abraham. He will have innumerable offspring.

2.  Land
Possess the gate of those that hate you. That is the gate of your enemy- This is the promise of the land. The gate is the place of governmental structure. To possess the gate is to have overthrown the enemy.

         We should pray for and expect descendants and land. 
Descendants come through having godly offspring. Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. They also come through conversions, by preaching the gospel so that God’s enemies lay down their arms and become His friends.
We should pray for land. Jesus asked the Father for the nations and they were granted to Him. There is not an inch of real estate that does not belong to Jesus. China is His, and the USA, and Poland, and Russia, and Europe, and The Congo, and The Ivory Coast and the North and South Pole. Let us pray that God would grant His Church victory wherever she goes so that all nations will bow the knee to King Jesus.
God’s blessing be upon you. May you be the mothers and fathers of thousand of ten thousands and may your children possess the gates of their enemies, for the sake of King Jesus, now and evermore. Amen.
-->


[2]The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ge 24:10–67.

No comments: