Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Evangelicals are Assured

Evangelicals walk in assurance of salvation. Why? Because we belong to Jesus. I ended my sermon with the Heidelburg Catechism 1. Here it is again.
Heidelburg 1.  What is thy only comfort in life and death? 
A. That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.
Evangelicals are confident before God. We are not wondering if we have been good enough for God to forgive us. We are not scared in His presence. We stand before Him boldly. Why? Because all of our comfort and hope is in Jesus Christ. We are sure of this and therefore assured of His love for us.

This meal assures us of God’s love to us through His Son. We believe this and therefore have great confidence that we are in Christ, saved, at peace with God and men, forgiven, Spirit-filled and all of the other wonderful and glorious promises that we have in Jesus, our Savior. Amen.

No comments: